SafeSend has how-to videos if you’re looking for guidance on a specific feature:
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits for me?
- You will be able to receive your tax returns securely without the need to set up an account or remember a password.
- The client-friendly interface will walk you through a guided process that includes on-screen review of your tax returns, as well as options for making online tax payments, if applicable.
- You will be able to electronically view, sign, save, and print your tax documents. SafeSend automatically sends your signed e-file forms back to Santora CPA Group.
- You will have access to your tax returns for seven years (in most cases).
- You will be able to receive estimated tax payment reminders at a schedule of your choosing.
- You can securely forward your tax documents to anyone you choose, such as a bank.
- SafeSend is accessible across all platforms: computer, smartphone, or tablet.
How will it work?
- Once your return has been finalized, you will receive an email from Santora CPA Group with a “from” address of firstname.lastname@example.org. Check your spam or junk folder if you do not see it.
- The email will contain a safe link for you to access your tax returns.
- After clicking on the link, you will be asked to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number (for individual returns) to review your returns.
- SafeSend will email (or text) you an access code to further verify your identity. You must enter the code within 20 minutes of receipt, otherwise you will need to request another code.
- When you are ready to sign your e-file authorization form(s), you will be asked three simple questions to verify your identity.
- Once you have signed the e-file authorization form(s), Santora CPA Group will be automatically notified and will complete the rest of the e-filing process.
Will it work with any internet browser?
For the best experience, we recommend using Google Chrome. It will also work with Safari, Firefox, as well as other browsers, but we strongly discourage using Internet Explorer while using SafeSend. SafeSend does not work well with Internet Explorer.
Will I receive a notification when my returns are ready to sign?
Yes. Email notifications will be sent from Santora CPA Group at email@example.com. To prevent the email from getting filtered to spam/junk, we recommend adding this email address to your safe list.
Is it safe to enter part of my Social Security number?
Yes. SafeSend Returns offers a secure system to view and sign your e-file authorization form(s). Look for https:// at the beginning of the site URL and a locked padlock symbol in your browser’s URL bar to confirm you are on the secure site.
What if I don’t receive an email with my access code?
Check your spam/junk email folder. If you do not receive your code within the 20-minute time limit, please request another. You can also search your email for firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I can’t remember the access code or it expires?
You can click on the link in any email from SafeSend Returns, and you will be re-sent the link for a new access code by email@example.com. It doesn’t matter how old the email is.
Where do the identity verification questions come from? What if I don’t remember the answers?
The questions SafeSend Returns asks are knowledge-based questions pulled from government and credit sources. You may be asked questions such as where you lived in a given year or when you bought your car or home. In the event the questions do not apply to you, simply choose the answer that accurately reflects this. If you don’t remember the answers to the questions or you answer incorrectly, you won’t be able to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s). If you are unable to answer the questions after three attempts, you will be given the opportunity to print your e-file forms and securely upload them to Santora CPA Group after signing.
Will this work on any internet-connected device? Does SafeSend Returns offer an app for my smartphone?
This process can be completed on any computer, smart phone, or tablet via a web browser. There is currently no SafeSend Returns app available.
Can I review the tax returns before signing them?
You will be able to view any portion of your tax returns prior to signing them.
Will I have the option to download and print my returns to retain for my records?
Yes. You can download and print your returns from a computer after you’ve signed your returns. If you’re using a smartphone or tablet, you can review and e-sign your return package, but you may not be able to print. Please use a laptop or desktop computer for the best printing experience.
Will I have the option to download and print my returns?
Yes. You will have the opportunity to do so.
How is this process different from e-filing?
SafeSend Returns allows you to electronically sign your e-file authorization form(s), but it won’t submit your return to the IRS. Once signed, Santora CPA Group is automatically notified, and we will then complete the filing process for you, including submission to the IRS.
My spouse and I file our return jointly. How can we both sign the e-file authorization form(s)?
For spouses filing jointly, there are a few ways to sign via SafeSend Returns:
- If both spouses have an email address on file, both will receive an email with a link to view the returns and sign the e-file authorization form(s). First, one spouse will receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. He or she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and input the spouse’s email address, which will send an email link to the second spouse. The second spouse will answer identity verification questions specific to him/her and then sign the form(s).
- If only one spouse has an email address on file, that spouse will first receive the link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. He or she will sign the e-file authorization form(s) and then enter an email address for the second spouse. The second spouse will then receive the email link with identity verification questions specific to him/her and then sign the form(s).
- If a couple shares an email address, the primary signer will first receive a link with identity verification questions specific to him/her. After the primary signer signs the e-file authorization form(s), he/she can then enter the shared email address again. A new link will be sent with identity verification questions specific to the second spouse.
Can I sign my dependent’s return electronically?
We will deliver your dependent’s returns via SafeSend Returns, however, due to the knowledge-based authentication requirements of the IRS, a minor dependent may not qualify, so you will need to manually sign and return your dependent’s e-file authorization form.
I’d rather print and sign my e-file authorization form(s). Can I do that?
Yes. You can still print, sign, and return your e-file form(s) back to Santora CPA Group if you’d prefer to do so.
After signing my e-file authorization form(s), will I receive confirmation that it was successfully delivered to Santora CPA Group?
Yes! Once you sign your e-file authorization form(s), you will receive an email stating it was successful. The email will also include a link to download a copy of your tax returns for your records.
I received a message saying that I couldn’t electronically sign my returns and that I need to download the paper e-file forms. Why?
If an individual has not established a significant history in the U.S., perhaps because they are younger than 18 years of age or live outside the U.S., there will not be enough government and financial information available to construct knowledge-based authentication questions.
Will I get reminders about signing the e-file forms?
Yes. You will receive regular reminders about signing your e-file forms, especially as the deadline approaches.
Part of my tax returns must be printed and mailed to the taxing authority – it can’t be e-filed. How will I print it?
Any paper returns will be included as Attachments. You will receive clear instructions on how to access and download these or other items that must be mailed. If you are unable to print your Attachments, please reach out to one of our SafeSend Specialists listed below.
Do I have to finish the review and signing process in one sitting?
No. You can put your return aside and come back to it at any time.
Will I receive reminders for my quarterly estimated payments?
If estimated payments are included in your review copy, you will automatically receive an email reminder 15 days before your payments are due.
What is Signer Delegation?
Signer Delegation allows someone other than the signer to review a tax return, then delegate signature to the person authorized to sign the e-file authorization forms. This is most commonly used with business returns where a CFO or Controller reviews a return but the signer is a different person, such as the CEO.
Can I send K-1s to recipients through SafeSend?
After you sign the returns, you will be given the opportunity to either securely email the recipients directly once you’ve edited their details, or you can download and print the K-1s to mail yourself.
What about my source documents?
If you sent us a hard copy of your source documents, the original documents will be mailed back to you shortly after your returns are completed.
Can I send my tax returns to my bank?
You are given the opportunity to forward your return, or portions of it, to anyone you choose. To prevent the result of errors in email addresses, the recipient will need to verify their identity.
If I need a copy of my returns in a couple of years, how can I access them?
Your tax returns will be available through SafeSend for seven years, unless your entity is an attest client. You can click on the link in any email from SafeSend Returns. It doesn’t matter how old the email is. You will receive a link with an access code from firstname.lastname@example.org. You can proceed to download an electronic copy of your return.
What if I need help navigating through the software?
You can reach out to one of our SafeSend Specialists listed below.
Is my information secure?
Client data is encrypted by SafeSend and stored on secure servers managed by their parent company, cPaperless. Data access is restricted to authorized accounts. Decryption is inaccessible by unauthorized accounts.
Do you still have question(s)?
Please email your detailed question(s) to safesend@santoracpagroupcom. Your email will be routed to the person best suited to assist you. Or you can also reach out to one of our SafeSend Specialists:
- Kathie Skinner / 302-737-6200 / email@example.com
- Erin Melhus / 302-737-6200 / firstname.lastname@example.org